My photo
This blog is all about my personal health and fitness journey. I am a qualified personal trainer and run my own Online Personal Training Business - GET ACTIVE ONLINE. I love helping others reach their goals and just feel better about themselves! Last year I competed in the Sports Model Division at the INBA All Female Classic and had a great time and might just do it again! But more on that later.... for now I just love rambling on about the daily adventures of Life!!!!

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Hormones and Depression

Oh my god sometimes I just wish I wasn't a woman! The last couple of weeks my hormones have been completely out of control. After 15 years I decided to go of the pill, not realising what a complete nightmare it would be. The last couple of weeks I've been so depressed, crying all the time for no apparent reason, forgetful, tired and just not at all myself! My poor new husband! (I think he has had moments where he was wondering why we got married!).

At the best of times I struggle not to slip into depression and rely heavily on exercising and eating well to keep me in a good frame of mind but with the change in hormones even that hasn't been enough. I went to the Dr the other day and was a blubbering mess and I was informed I'm depressed! Well I knew that, but what can I do to fix it! I pretty much know I have to exercise, eat well, think positive thoughts just to stay on track, but it is so so so frustrating when you are so down and there isn't a real reason for it.
Many of my family suffer from depression and up to now I was hoping that by living the way I do I could avoid it. My sister has got to a point where she relies on anti depressants and until seeing what dark places she got into I always thought there was so many other options. I still believe that for so many the benefits or a good clean diet and regular exercise are amazing although when it gets to the point you cannot function in your daily life then I do believe that medication can assist. In saying that I'm trying to keep positive and have been exercising lots, eating so well and taking every supplement known to man!
Although even with all the healthy living I am successfully putting on a kilo each week! I think (hope) a lot of it has to do with my hormones being out of control and not having a period since being of the pill. I just feel so puffy and fat that it is a depressing vicious circle.
Anyway just needed to get that of my chest. If there is anyone out there who has experienced anything similar I would love to hear from you.
For now I will keep positive and in saying that I'm of to the gym for session number two today (gotta do something to make me feel good!)
Love Hilds

4 comments:

Miss Positive said...

Hiya sweets

I went off the pill last September and was expecting all those things to happen, and more. But for some reason they didn't, all I got was a few pimples!

Hopefully it wont take long for your hormones to normalise- good idea keeping up the training and good nutrition - it cant hurt!

Hilary xx

Jodi said...

Hi Hilds, I know exactly what it is like to slip into depression and then to go lower into a hole you never think you would ever get out of (like your sister). I can say with all the ups and downs of side effects of anti-depressants and the weight gain being weight conscious makes you more depressed than not being on anti-depressants. Trust me, I was like you, I thought I could fight the depression with fitness and clean eating....then I caved after several times being told by doctors that I needed anti-depressants. Trust me, the side effects are not worth it...the turmoil of going on and off of them out weighs any positives and trust me, the weight gain is unbearable. The key is having a plan and make sure that you keep moving and busy but also take time out to really stop and enjoy the small little joys in life. Have you been to a naturopath? There are alot of great natural supps that can help increase energy and fight off depression. Plus they might be able to tell you what is going on with your hormones.

Take care and remember, it may be a struggle all your life to fight depression since it is in your family (same as me) but you only have one life so you need to find what works for you and do what makes you feel happy. The worst thing I have found that can bring depression on is worrying about getting severely depressed, trust me it is almost like you are paving your way too it!!! I have suffered 2 relapses stressing about it coming back, the fear can take over.

Hope this helps and if you even need to talk about someone who has been through it and struggles to keep it a bay let me know.

Take care and smile!!!

jodie said...

Hello Hilde
Sorry to hear about your battles. I have been through depression too, it is more common than you would think. I didn't want to go on Anti-depressants at all but in the end they really helped me get better. You have to try several things to see what works for you, because everyone is different. After putting things behind me and moving on, I worked hard to be Anti-Depressant free and happily say I have been off them for ages now.

The most important thing is to keep a handle on it, work with your Dr and don't be afraid to talk to people who care. It can feel so lonely and difficult but you are not alone.

I hope you find something that works for you and am thinking of you

Jodie
xx

Anonymous said...

Antidepressants like xanax are the most popular form of depression cure. However, as per recent observations and studies, probabilities are rife that the antidepressants are not that suitable to be administered to patients with low to medium depression. They work best only when they are prescribed to the patients with high depression symptoms.